Based on your messages and comments, I wanted to share the most loved DIY beauty recipes featuring all natural ingredients on Minimalist Beauty so far. When I began this blog I decided that I wanted to make 80% of my cosmetics. At the time I had a large amount of debt and realized that so much of my money was going mainly towards cosmetics. I was determined to pay off my debt. Simplifying my beauty routine and with great discipline I did.
I can honestly say that I make 95% of my cosmetics now. The other 5% that I purchase are a few makeup items and currently a conditioner. The longer that I have made cosmetics the more I understand ingredients and how to create formulations. What I love about making my own cosmetics is that I do not have to worry about what is really in the ingredients. Our cosmetic industry is not regulated and many companies mislabel their products to appear healthy organic and natural. Making your own cosmetics as well as using simple ingredients for beauty will save you tons of money, and I actually truly enjoy it.
Water based DIY products as well as those with aloe vera juice must be refrigerated unless you’ve created a beautiful synergy of natural preservatives. I’ve been asked a few times which preservatives one can use to extend the life of DIY products. I feel that rosemary antioxidant extract is a wonderful choice and should be added at .15% to .5 % of your formulation. Vitamin E oil will also extend the shelf life of your products. Because natural preservatives do not have broad spectrum antibacterial coverage you will still want to include other antibacterial fighting herbs, essential oils, etc. to increase the shelf life of your product. How long the shelf life will be is strictly determined by your formulation. I believe that making small batches and refrigerating your products is one of the easiest ways not to worry.
Do you enjoy making your own beauty products?
(Image by D Sharon Pruitt)