I’ve let go of my need for eye creams in general, yet sometimes it simply feels nice to indulge in this wonderful luxury. Here is a wonderful recipe for a nurturing eye cream from one of my favorite DIY beauty books The Herbal Home Spa: Naturally Refreshing Wraps, Rubs, Lotions, Masks, Oils, and Scrubs (Herbal Body) by Greta Breedlove.
VIOLET EYE CREAM
What you will need:
1/2 cup fresh violet flowers
1/2 cup fresh violet leaves
1/4 cup almond oil
1/2 cup fresh horsetail
2 tablespoons beeswax
10 drops vitamin E oil
10 drops blue chamomile essential oil
1. Gather the violet leaves and flowers and place them on a towel to wilt overnight. (I prefer to buy dried herbs because it is easier and eliminates the drying process.)
2. In a double boiler, steep the leaves, petals, and horsetail in oil over low heat for 5 hours. (I also feel it is easier to use the DIY Herbal Oil Infusion Method although it will take more time to prepare.)
3. Grate the beeswax or cut into small pieces.
4. Strain the plant material from the oil completely.
5. Pour the oil back into the double boiler, adding the grated beeswax.
6. Melt the beeswax into the oil completely, then remove from heat.
7. Quickly add the vitamin E and blue chamomile oils.
8. Pour into dainty containers or jars
This recipe yields approximately 7.5 1 ounce containers so share it and spread the love. You can find the ingredients at Mountain Rose Herbs. Violet leaves will be under “blue violet leaf” in the bulk organic herbs and spices section where you can also find violet flowers and horsetail.
Note: Always use nonreactive utensils made of stainless steel, glass, or enamel so you do not affect your finished product.
(Image by D Sharon Pruitt)