I will be completely honest by saying that the experiential holiday gifts that I have received in the past have been way more memorable than any physical gift. Sadly I can’t even remember most of the gifts I’ve received except a few that have really stood out. During this time of year many busy themselves to create the perfect holiday with the perfect gifts, yet holiday experiences seem to be everlasting.
Gift giving and creating holiday traditions can be whatever you desire. I’m discovering that creating lasting memories seem to imprint my life in an extremely powerful way. You may find that this is the same for you.
Here are 15 Experiential Holiday Gifts and Traditions that you can give and live vibrantly with your family and friends!
1. Get tickets to see your favorite sports team live
2. See The Nutcracker or give tickets to another future dance concert
3. Go ice skating
4. Sing holiday carols
5. Go see a special art or museum exhibit
6. Spend a day at a theme park
7. Drive around at night to admire the stunning holiday decor of businesses and homes
8. Give tickets to a magic show
9. Volunteer at a non-profit to spread holiday cheer to others
10. Share or gift a day at the spa
11. Give the gift of therapeutic massage
12. Gift tickets to a music concert or favorite band
13. Bake healthy holiday meals and desserts together
14. Play your favorite competitive family board game
15. Give the gift of exhilarating education such as a painting or ceramics class, creative writing class, sewing class, couples ballroom class, bellydance class, etc.
Every year when I was a child living in Virginia, my mother would take me to see the ballet around Easter at The Kennedy Center. I would wear my Sunday Easter dress, and it was our special ladies only date each year. Although it wasn’t specifically a Christmas gift, I remember that tradition that we had more so than 80% of the material gifts that I was given growing up.
Although the holidays seem to have the illusion that material gifts are the most valuable, I have found that lastingly memories are so much more.
I will never forget the year that my family opted out one holiday and went to the Bahamas. That was another lasting memory that I will never forget! We are sold to believe that giving during the holiday season means materialism, yet giving our quality time and undivided attention while creating lasting life memories is where the true beauty lives.
What holiday experiential gift or tradition has imprinted your life? Please share your stories and insights!
(Image by Dawn Michelle)